Archaeological dating of grave headstones carbon dating used determine age
Areas highlighted in yellow indicate artifact concentrations.Site plan adapted from a survey by Nobles Consulting Group, Inc. In December 2011, state archaeologists monitored drainage system installation, which yielded more artifacts, including parts of a porcelain candle holder and remnants of a sand and oyster shell driveway dating from the early 1900s.Without additional artifacts to provide further context, and given the lack of concrete evidence in the historic record, the exact date and purpose of these features is a matter of conjuncture.In July 2012, construction workers came across two headstones under the east covered entrances to the basement, while excavating to install cistern outflow pipes.Archaeologists noted the presence of several ceramic artifacts and a dark stain in the soil indicating an area where brickmaking possibly took place.In August and September 2011, BAR monitored the installation of new underground utility lines.The site has been under continuous occupation since Mary and Richard Keith Call first acquired the land - originally 640 acres - in 1825. The text below summarizes findings published in Rothrock, et al., (Florida Bureau of Archaeological Research, 2015).A copy of this report is available upon request from the Florida Master Site File (Site [email protected] Unless otherwise noted, all images below are adapted from the Map showing section 25 in township 1 north, range 1 west. The Call-Collins House is located in the southeast quarter.
Excavations related to the cistern restoration revealed that discarded headstones were re-purposed as footings for a wooden addition built in the 1940s along the east and west elevations of the Call-Collins House (TGAR).Research into the two individuals whose names appear on the headstones reveal that one died in 1926 and is buried in Quincy, Florida, and the other died in 1918 and is buried in East Grove Cemetery in Woodville, Florida.The two headstones found at The Grove were likely discarded and replaced with newer ones at the location where the individuals remain buried today.Archaeologists found a large number of ceramics and glassware spanning much of The Grove’s recorded history, from the mid-1800s to the 1900s.Site plan for The Grove showing the location of utility line installation monitored by archaeologists in 2011.